James Madison University, a Division I Member of the NCAA and Sun Belt conference, is seeking an Assistant Athletic Trainer. The Athletic Trainer will work under the supervision of the Head Athletic Trainer- Football, Associate AD for Integrated Health and Sports Performance/ Director of Sports Medicine, and JMU Team Physicians. They will perform athletic training duties that help insure the health and safety of the student-athletes. The selected candidate will be expected to maintain a high level of communication, outstanding interpersonal skills, and professionalism as a member of the JMU Sports Medicine Staff. The ability to work and function as a member of the health care team is essential. This candidate will also serve as a clinical preceptor for JMU’s athletic training students.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Include but not limited to:
- Assist in the delivery of athletic training services according to established practice guidelines for NCAA Division 1 Football team, and Women’s Golf team, and other as assigned. Those services include wellness promotion, injury and illness prevention, emergency care, examination, assessment, diagnosis, immediate care, therapeutic intervention, and administration of football student athletes’ health and well-being.
- Assist with the acquisition and maintenance of student-athlete insurance. Work with the Insurance Coordinator/Administrative Assistant with appointment setting, bill collecting, and bill processing as requested.
- Oversee athletic training student, affiliate athletic training students, and work-study students for the Robert & Frances Plecker Athletic Performance Center. Mentor on performance goals and learning objectives. Lead and educate athletic training students on use of rehabilitation tools, treatment modalities, and athletic training room policy and procedures.
- Assist with and actively contribute to the maintenance of a clean, sterile and safe working environment. Assist with providing a safe, legal, and ethical working environment.
- Cooperate in maintaining effective working relationships with the Chief Medical Officer/Head Team Physician, Head Orthopedic Physician, Physician’s Assistant, and all other medical consultants.
- Work in cooperation with the Integrated Health & Sports Performance Staff to effectively rehabilitate, strengthen, counsel, and return to play student-athletes post injury or illness.
- Responsible for providing effective written and oral communication between student-athletes, coaches, sports performance coaches, administrators, head athletic trainer- Football, and team physicians regarding the status and progress of injured student-athletes. This communication can include parents.
- Travel with the NCAA Division 1 Football team to all away games, practices, and conditioning sessions.
- Participate in Approved Clinical Preceptor training provided by the university. Serve as a clinical preceptor and assess the clinical proficiencies of athletic training undergraduate students in a thorough and timely manner.
- Participate in athletic training educational programs and continuing education opportunities as needed in order to maintain certification and licensure to practice athletic training.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant institutional, Sun Belt Conference, NCAA and Commonwealth of Virginia rules and regulations.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the Chief Medical Officer/Head Team Physician, the Associate Athletics Director for Integrated Health & Sports Performance, and the Head Athletic Trainer for Football.
- This position reports directly to the Head Athletic Trainer- Football.
- Master’s degree.
- 3+ years of relevant clinical experience.
- Hold BOC certification, have a Virginia license to practice Athletic Training or be eligible for licensure.
- CPR and AED Certified.
- Ability to effectively communicate with multiple parties within the athletics department and campus community.
- Experience working with a collegiate football program.
- NCAA Division I or professional experience (NFL).
- Demonstrated commitment to advanced continuing education/certifications such as, but not limited to CSCS, EMT, FMS, CES, PES, IASTM, PRI, etc.
- Experience as an approved clinical preceptor and supervision of athletic training students enrolled in a CAATE Athletic Training program.
Pay Rate: Pay Range
James Madison University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer and especially encourages applications from minorities, women, and persons with disabilities.
We promote access, inclusion and diversity for all students, faculty, staff, constituents and programs, believing that these qualities are foundational components of an outstanding education in keeping with our mission. The university is interested in candidates whose experience and qualifications support an ongoing commitment to this core quality.
Anyone having questions concerning discrimination should contact the Office for Equal Opportunity: (540) 568-6991.