Months/Year Schedule: 12
Job Description Summary
JOB PURPOSE STATEMENT
Under general direction, this position serves as the Head Coach of SSU’s Baseball program. The person serves as Assistant Athletic Director for Facilities.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Directs the SSU Baseball Program
- Leads the SSU Baseball Program through planning, direction and structure to meet the goals of the institution and the team. Ensures the team operates within the guidelines of the University, Mid-South Conference, and the NAIA rules.
- Provides on field coaching and game preparation, film evaluation & scouting for both team and individual skill improvement.
- Develops schedules for practice and competition and ensures the availability and maintenance of equipment and facilities. Oversees travel plans, coordinates video, opponent scouting, etc.
- Responsible for selecting and supervising volunteer and paid assistant coaches, overseeing budgets (operating and scholarship) and executing fundraising plans for Baseball. Plays a key role in bringing baseball alumni back to campus for athletic development and alumni events.
- Recruits, evaluates and monitors student athletes (Baseball players) who represent Shawnee State well in academics, discipline, and sportsmanship. Motivates athletes to be good examples to the university community.
- Coordinates, runs and administers junior varsity and summer camp (individual, team, summer leagues, etc.)
- Coordinates communication and maintains productive relationships between SSU Athletic Department and shared athletic facilities (ELKS GC, Rainbow Lanes, Earl Thomas Conley Park, the City of Portsmouth, Portsmouth City Schools, etc.).
- Serves as the point of contact between SSU, the City of Portsmouth, Portsmouth City Schools,Elks Golf Club, Rainbow lanes, and other facilities shared with SSU Athletics.
- Ensures the lease agreements and MOU’s stay current: including execution of provisions in agreements.
- Helps develop plans and projects for the improvement of BRP, monitors costs, assists with timelines and ensures the field maintenance at BRP meets expectations for a college baseball venue.
- Directs scheduling, maintenance, and improvements for SSU Athletics Facilities
- This includes all current SSU Facilities: SSU Turf, Daehler Tennis Center, and the Rhodes Athletic Center (Waller Gymnasium, Warsaw Athletic Center, Performance Weight Room, and Student Recreation Center) and those to be added.
- Communicates any immediate needs in regards to upkeep.
- Assist in development of Athletics’ Facilities Master in coordination with University Facilities Master Plan and SSU Athletics 2022 (as well as future planning)
- Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE)
- Bachelor’s degree in Sports Management or related field
- Two (2) to three (3) years coaching and playing experience.
- Successful MVR
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
MINIMUM JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Intimate knowledge of coaching strategies, recruiting, and NAIA eligibility rules
- Knowledge of workings of higher education in regard to student retention and progress towards graduation
Preferred Qualifications Summary
- Master’s degree
- College coaching experience (preferably head coaching)
- Admissions or recruiting experience
- Student advising, Title IX training
Posting Number: ADM-P211
Desired Start Date: 07/01/2023
Commensurate with education and experience
Close Date: 04/13/2023
Shawnee State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University prohibits discrimination against any individual because of race, color, genetic information, religion, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status or military status.