The West Virginia University Division of Student Life is currently accepting applications for a (Hybrid) Assistant Valorant Coach.
About the Opportunity
As a (Hybrid) Temporary Assistant Valorant Coach, you will be responsible for assisting the head coach of Esports. The position is responsible for helping student-athletes with in-game-specific skills, physical wellness, mental preparation, in-game and outside of game character.
The (Hybrid) Temporary Assistant Valorant Coach will be part of the Division of Student Life. This position reports to the Director of Esports. Schedule will vary due to departmental commitments and as needed by the Head Coach. Duties will require travel.
What you’ll do:
Coaching and developing (70%)
- Under direct supervision of the Head Coach, the incumbent will perform, develop, coordinate, administer professional and administrative services and assist the Head Coach with developing and administering a highly competitive Valorant program
- Assist the Head Coach with all aspects of the team including daily, practice, individual skill training, game day competition, and scheduling offseason practices
- Conduct coaching and instruction activities during training, practice and competition
Administrative work (30%)
- Assist the Head Coach with the maintenance of the esports facility and Discord server
- Assist the Head Coach with recruiting, including calling prospective student-athletes, parents, and evaluating prospects
- Support and uphold department values
- Work cooperatively with personnel in the Esports and Student Life department, attend department meetings and activities, and always represent the University positively when interacting with the community, alumni, high school and club coaches, media and general public
- Help with tournaments run by Esports Department for collegiate, K-12, and intramurals
- High School graduate
- A minimum of (1) year of experience involving:
- coaching or playing Valorant at the college or T1/T2 level
- Must be available for team practices and games which will be evenings and weekends
- Knowledgeable in Valorant, with understanding of how to develop talent
- Skill to implement new strategies and procedures or examine and reengineer existing processes
- Ability to recruit, coach and teach highly talented student-athletes
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment as needed
- Ability to travel as needed
Moderate physical activity is required with occasional lifting of objects, carrying or dragging objects approximately 50 pounds
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia’s land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley – the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you’re a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
Creating an inclusive, engaged, and dynamic learning environment is core to WVU’s academic mission. We welcome candidates who can contribute a range of ideas, approaches and experiences.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Mar 17, 2023
Posting Classification: Non-Classified
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Benefits Eligible: No