$60,000 – $70,000
Open Until Filled
IT Systems Support Specialist
Full-time 12-month, Exempt Position
The IT Systems Support Specialist is primarily responsible for supporting the student information system (SIS) as well as responding to user technology and data requests in support of the university’s business needs. The IT Support Specialist reports to the Assistant Vice President (AVP) of Information Technology and works closely with the Database Administrator.
Capitol Technology is a private, non-profit, university in South Laurel, Maryland with approximately 800 students and a dedicated full-time staff of 75. The IT Systems Support Specialist would be part of a team of 5 IT professionals.
Benefits: As an institution of higher education, Capitol offers the unique benefit of tuition remission for qualified fulltime staff and dependents to pursue Bachelor’s or Master’s degrees at the University following ninety days of employment. In addition, the University offers a full benefits package with subsidized health insurance and a generous 403(b) contribution following one full year of employment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist in managing all activities related to the use, operations and maintenance of the Student information system.
- Manage user access and permissions to the student information system and troubleshoot problems encountered by users.
- Provide general system training to newly hired staff.
- Query databases using SQL server administration tools.
- Assists with report development and maintenance of standard data reports.
- Resolves SIS system issues with the support of the database administration and IT staff.
- Completes work orders such as database report requests and user access provisioning.
- Creates and manages technical documentation for administrative systems.
- The User Support Specialist must continually expand knowledge base in support of software and hardware used by the university. This position requires a broad base of knowledge to include SQL reporting, hardware/software troubleshooting, and cloud computing.
- Be available to assist in all other areas of IT as needed.
- Associate or Bachelor degree in computer science, or management information systems or technical training in database management and structured query language preferred
- Experience in Structured Query Language (SQL)
- Experience in SQL Analysis and Reporting
- Experience supporting software as a service
- Ability to efficiently identify and resolve both system and user-related challenges
- Possess proficiency in oral and written communications
- Knowledgeable of SQL Database administration and report writing functions
- Excellent interpersonal and written/verbal communication skills including the ability to convey technical information in a meaningful and understandable way
- Quick learner with the ability to adapt to working with different technologies
- Excellent customer service skills
- Have good organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task and work within deadlines
- Ability to create and manage documentation for all SIS and related systems
- Prefer experience with university administration software such as Jenzabar J1, PowerFAIDS, Canvas, Artsys and Salesforce
This position requires sitting occasionally for extended periods of time, and repetitive motions for tasks such as operating a computer mouse and keyboard, and hearing and speaking on the telephone. Position requires ability to crawl under desks/office furniture and access tight spaces. The candidate must be able to lift, pull, bend, grasp, and occasionally lift up to 20 lbs.
Capitol Technology University is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse and inclusive workforce. As stated in our Equal Employment Policy, part of our commitment to a diverse and inclusive workforce, Capitol Technology University provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants without regard to unlawful considerations of sex, sexual orientation, gender (including gender identity and/or expression), pregnancy, race, color, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, religion or similar philosophical beliefs, disability, marital and civil union status, age, genetic information, veteran status, personal political views or any personal attribute or characteristic that is protected by applicable local, state or federal laws.