Job ID: 256121
Located in the fastest-growing region of the state, the University of North Georgia is a multi-campus university with an enrollment of nearly 20,000 students, making it one of the largest institutions in the University System of Georgia. UNG is focused on a mission of educational excellence, leadership development and community engagement opportunities that develop students into leaders for a diverse and global society. Through a variety of educational pathways that provide access and range from certificates and associate degrees to a professional doctoral program, UNG is responsive to regional education and economic development needs. Federally designated as a senior military college, one of the university’s signature leadership programs is its 800-member Corps of Cadets on UNG’s Dahlonega Campus.
The University of North Georgia is currently accepting applications for a Technical Support Specialist II on the Dahlonega campus. The technician’s role is to provide efficient and effective technical support to end users, and to maintain UNG’s instructional technology environment. This includes installing, diagnosing, repairing, maintaining, and upgrading all classroom, conference room, and event space hardware and equipment to ensure optimal performance. The person will also troubleshoot problem areas (in person, by telephone, remote tools, or via email) in a timely and accurate fashion, and provide end-user assistance where required.
- Receive and respond to incoming calls, service desk tickets, email, or chat regarding technical incidents. Provides critical support for end-user technology. Provides technical assistance to faculty, staff, and students. Performs configuration changes in coordination with other IT units. Installs and maintains instructional systems and supporting equipment to support classroom and collaboration needs for complex projects and upgrades.
- Perform analysis, diagnosis, and Tier I/II resolution of technical issues for end users, including remote repair for remote users as needed. Assists in the creation and updating of support documentation, and provides in-time training to campus faculty and staff.
- Assist with maintaining, and upholding procedures for logging, reporting, and monitoring end-user device operations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of instructional technology installation and repair and peripheral installation and support.
- Knowledge of networking, instructional systems signal flows, remote management, and remote support.
- Ability to diagnose complex system problems.
- Knowledge of vendor-specific systems diagnosis and configuration.
- Working level knowledge of ITILv3 processes and ITSM best practices.
- Must possess excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills and the. ability to multi-task, manage workload, and meet deadlines.
- Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer, stamina to maintain attention to detail despite interruptions; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone; on occasion, strength to lift and carry objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Sitting for extended periods of time; ability to certify and maintain good standing in golf cart driver course for the purpose of responding to critical support calls and cross-campus transportation; maintain a state-issued driver’s license in good standing. Must maintain mobile phone for cellular and data communications.
- Associate’s degree (Computer Science or Computer Information Systems preferred), 60 credit hours towards a degree.
- One year of general computer installation, maintenance and repair experience.
- Or an equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Drivers License Required.
- Experience with commercial Audio/Video installation, maintenance desired.
- Comptia A+, Network+, Avixa CTS, or vendor-specific certifications from Biamp, Extron, AMX, or Crestron preferred.
Required Documents to Attach
- Cover letter
- Contact information for three professional references.
Conditions of Employment
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with the University of North Georgia, as determined by University of North Georgia in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of North Georgia, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sex or national origin, age, disability, religion, genetics or veteran status. Georgia is an open records state. Also, UNG is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans.
- This position will be required to drive.
- This role is considered a position of trust.
- Position of Trust + Education
University of North Georgia is committed to providing equal opportunity to all qualified applicants without discrimination at the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, age, disability or handicap as a matter of college policy and as required by applicable state and federal laws.